There is more in you than you think.
- Kurt Hahn
The ISK Service Learning program provides meaningful opportunities for students to initiate and reflect upon sustainable community projects that are mutually beneficial. These projects cultivate both personal and community growth, while building recognition of human interdependence.
The over arching aim of our service learning program is to develop students who are confident and competent in contributing to and learning from their community. Students will be able to apply these learned skills and dispositions, starting with their home and family and working towards impacting the global community.
ISK’s service learning program therefore aims to:
A. Develop individuals who are:
- Reflective thinkers who are balanced intellectually, physically, creatively and emotionally
- Willing to accept new challenges and new roles
- Responsible for and aware of each other, the community and the environment
- Aware of their personal impact on a community and are empowered to act upon it
- Initiating opportunities which broaden their understanding of community
- Dedicated to a sustainable, collaborative project
B. Have a positive impact on a community by:
- Creating community networks
- Modeling positive values of altruism, selflessness and community responsibility
- Identifying and addressing real world issues
- Ensuring environmental stewardship
At ISK service learning is integrated into the academic learning experience through a wide and varied community program. Each week our enthusiastic students participate in various school service programs with many more participating in projects on the weekends with their families. Some of the projects our students undertake are reforestation projects, painting murals, bead making with the women of Kibera, peer mentoring and reading programs, animal protection, building programs, library assistance and special needs and care.
During our afternoon service learning program, students learn to work for a common goal and by doing so acquire a variety of skills, such as how to lead, how to be accountable, how to communicate ideas, how to listen to others, and how to work as a team to reach a goal. It also empowers our students with the realization that they can make a difference in our world today.