On Friday May 31, our seniors, families, faculty, and community enjoyed a wonderful graduation ceremony. In addition to acknowledging the great achievement for all our seniors, we acknowledged the particularly outstanding work of our major award recipients with the presentation of special awards. The following seniors were nominated and selected by the high school faculty to receive special awards:
- Outstanding Scholar Award - Gr 12 Vanessa
- Director's Award - Fernanda
- AISA Award for Excellence - Vanessa
- Svetlana Kovalsky Award - Xander
- Huduma Service Award - Santiago & Rushan
- Reuben Grey Sportsperson Award - Caleb
- Faculty Award - Maya
A few interesting facts about our Class of 2019:
- This class of 67 students represented 28 nationalities.
- Five seniors have been here at ISK since pre-kindergarten, while 5 seniors have been at ISK for 10 years or more; four joined ISK for their senior year
- Over 81% of this year's senior class reported getting into one of their top choice universities
- The class has thus far earned a total of 246 acceptances into various universities around the world, being awarded over USD $4,442,987 as a class in scholarships towards their university educations.
Academic Awards Assembly
Last week, we held our annual awards ceremony. Our department heads presented awards to honor student excellence and achievement. One student won an AISA Service Leader award and Hand Out was recognized as an outstanding collaborative student project. Our prestigious individual Outstanding Scholars Awards were awarded this year to:
- Grade 11 Amani
- Grade 10 Kai
- Grade 9 Vera
Semester 2 Final Grade Reports
Grade 9, 10 and 11 students sat a final assessment for most of their courses during the final assessment week from May 30 to June 5. Thereafter, ISK report card final grades are available to view and download via PowerSchool by 10:00 am on Thursday June 6th (left hand menu 'ISK Report Card' option). Contact Mr Dale (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have trouble accessing final grades. If you require a printed final report for your child, please contact us at email@example.com. As communicated previously, be reminded that narrative comments for your child/ren were provided earlier this semester via PowerSchool. Note that final reports will be held for any student who does not satisfactorily complete the end of year check out process by Wednesday.
HS Intercultural Trips for 2019-20
Reminder that these take place very soon after we resume school next year. Returning students have already selected trips. Parents are encouraged to speak with their child about the trip as the summer vacation can be a good time to purchase and any special equipment needs - parents are welcome to write to our co-curricular office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain trip packing lists.
1-to-1 Laptop Program in the HS
This is a reminder that all students in High School at ISK are required to bring their own laptop to school each day. Having a laptop everyday is an essential element for the success of our technology vision of how students learn in the 21st century. The ability for our students to have increased access to information, social interaction and the ability to create and share digital content exponentially increases in this 1-to-1 environment. ISK is a "Mac" School therefore new students and those entering Grade 9 are required to purchase a MacBook Pro or Air. If your child does not already have an appropriate laptop, please plan to purchase a Mac laptop before the first day of the upcoming academic year. The basic requirements for the new Macs are: WIFI, antivirus protection, Microsoft Office and six hours battery life. We highly recommend an 11" or 13" MacBook Air laptop. Please contact Douglas Irish (Director of Technology) email@example.com (this is not a link) if you have any questions or concerns.
On behalf of the high school teaching faculty and administrative team, thank you for your support throughout the year. To our departing families, we wish you a wonderful onwaard journey.
To our returning families, we wish you a safe and relaxing holiday – we look forward to your return to ISK after the break. Please be aware of the following dates;
- Grade 9 orientation day for all Grade 9 and all students new to ISK is Tuesday August 13th from 8.30am - 1.00pm.
- The first day of the 2019-20 academic year is on Wednesday August 14th