Curriculum is ...all the learning which is planned and guided by the school, whether it is carried on in groups or individually, inside or outside of school.
- John Kerr
- ISK's Educational Aims
ISK Curriculum is driven by the mission, vision and the educational Aims (Learn, Communicate, Create, Solve and Act)
Learning is integrated within and between disciplines in order to achieve these Aims.
- English / Language Arts
- Early Childhood (PK - KG)
- Social Studies
- Modern Languages
- High School Cross-Disciplinary
A scientifically literate individual can demonstrate and apply the essential scientific practices. All science learning PK - 12 embeds these practices in the learning and application of concepts and skills.
8 Scientific and Engineering Practices
- Asking questions and defining problems
- Developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Constructing explanations and designing solutions
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating and communicating information
In problem-based learning, students work with classmates to solve complex and authentic problems that help develop content knowledge as well as problem-solving, reasoning, communication, and self-assessment skills.
- For students to engage in an in-depth, collaborative inquiry
- For students to demonstrate the ISK Educational Aims as a result of their elementary learning experiences.
- To provide students with an opportunity to demonstrate independence and responsibility for their own learning
- To provide students with an opportunity to explore multiple perspectives
- For students to synthesize and apply their learning of previous years
- To provide an authentic process for assessing student understanding
Students work in groups to address real world problems:
2014-2017: Human Rights
2017-2020: Environmental Issues
The capstone project in grade 8 is a multifaceted project that serves as a culminating academic and intellectual experience for students at the end of their middle school years. The 8th grade capstone project is a long-term investigative project that culminates in a final product, presentation, or performance.
The grade 9 experiential learning program is designed to meet the needs of grade 9 advisory and would run for the duration of the school year. Throughout the year students are expected to research a global issue/ethical dilemma facing society, explore simple project-based solutions designed to alleviate the impact of the issue on society, develop a prototype or pilot project of the project settled upon, and eventually attempt to find way to apply the prototype within society.
This yearlong program follows a fully experiential structure and the design cylce, teaching students valuable real world skills that directly reinforce the ISK vision, mission and aims.