There is more in you than you think. - Kurt Hahn
Service Learning is an approach to teaching and learning that addresses authentic need through active engagement in our local and global communities.
Service learning is:
- Linked to the curriculum
- Involves positive and meaningful action
- Engages student voice and choice
- Considers the sustainability of programs and partnerships
- Creates opportunities for participants to be enriched by diverse perspectives
- Nurtures social responsibility and global citizenship
- Is mutually beneficial to participants
- Inspires reflection
The service learning program aims to develop individuals who are:
- Reflective thinkers who are balanced intellectually, physically, creatively and emotionally
- Willing to accept new challenges and new roles
- Responsible for and aware of each other, the community and the environment
- Aware of their personal impact on a community and are empowered to act upon it
- Initiating opportunities which broaden their understanding of community
- Dedicated to a sustainable, collaborative project
The service learning program aims to develop individuals who have a positive impact on a community by:
- Creating community networks
- Modeling positive values of altruism, selflessness and community responsibility
- Identifying and addressing real world issues
- Ensuring environmental stewardship
At ISK, service learning is integrated into the academic learning experience through a wide and varied community program. Each week our enthusiastic students participate in various school service programs with many more participating in projects on the weekends with their families. Some of the projects our students undertake are reforestation projects, painting murals, bead making with the women of Kibera, peer mentoring and reading programs, animal protection, building programs, library assistance and special needs and care.
During our afternoon service learning program, students learn to work for a common goal and by doing so acquire a variety of skills, such as how to lead, how to be accountable, how to communicate ideas, how to listen to others, and how to work as a team to reach a goal. It also empowers our students with the realization that they can make a difference in our world today.
ISK Educational Aims
We strive to develop students of character who learn, act and solve in a collaborative and engaging environment.